Benefit for the planet
The need to stabilize the greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere is the great environmental challenge of this century. To control these concentrations, we need to reduce fossil fuel emissions and find ways to remove greenhouse gases from the air once they have been emitted. Healthy soils are recognized as a way to mitigate climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide from the air.
Soil is the second largest carbon store, or ‘sink’, after the oceans. Agroforestry systems are believed to have a higher potential to sequester carbon because of their perceived ability for greater capture and utilization of growth resources (light, nutrients, and water) than single-species crop or pasture systems. Additionally agroforestry contributes to serving the growing demand to feed 9 billion people by 2050 (WRI).
Figure: Sources for carbon removal
Interested in submitting a project (idea)? Contact us: email@example.com.
- You are a farmer, intermediary/cooperative/trader
- The agroforestry project has not yet started or started within the last 5 years
- Farmers have not yet monetized their carbon credits
- Field coordinates / polygons coordinates are or can be recorded
- Farmers/plots have less than 5 hectares
- Land has not been deforested in the previous 5 years